If you're looking for an exciting learning environment where agronomists, animal scientists, biologists, horticulturists, microbiologists and pathologists work collaboratively to tackle challenging biological questions....... Genetics and Genomics at Iowa State University is where you want to be!
Iowa State Offers:
- Master's and PhD degree programs in Genetics and Genomics
- Specialized courses for cross-disciplinary training
- State-of-the-art facilities for genetics and genomics research
- a diverse and enthusiastic faculty
Genetics and Genomics Information
- Admissions - Application fees are $60 domestic and $100 international. For guaranteed consideration, please submit your application by January 1st. We will continue looking through applications received until February 1 if there are openings available.
- Financial Support. Stipend (beginning Fall 2019, starts at $9,450 per semester); Tuition Scholarships - 100% (Ph.D.) and 50% (M.S., assessed at in-state rates)
- Student & Scholars Health Insurance Program - Paid Single Health Insurance and Subsidized Dental Insurance
- Faculty Directory with contact information, home department and research interest areas
- Coursework Required to complete a Ph.D./M.S. in Genetics and Genomics
Undergraduates wishing to prepare for graduate study in Genetics and Genomics should elect courses in basic biology, chemistry at least through organic chemistry, one year of college-level physics, mathematics at least through calculus, at least one thorough course in basic transmission and molecular genetics, one semester of upper level statistics and one semester of upper level biochemistry. Incoming students who have not completed an upper level statistics course and an upper level biochemistry course prior to beginning in the program will take STAT 587 Statistical Methods for Research Workers and BBMB 404 Biochemistry I during their first year of graduate training. A waiver may be requested for these courses by providing appropriate documentation (catalog description and syllabus) to the curriculum committee showing completion of an upper level statistics and upper level biochemistry course equivalent to STAT 587 Statistical Methods for Research Workers and BBMB 404 Biochemistry I.
- See information on a bachelor of science degree in Genetics.
- All Ph.D. candidates take a core curriculum comprising of courses from four categories and attend seminars and workshops as described on the POSC Progress Form
- GENET Course Information - Iowa State University Courses and Programs
Graduate College Information
- Request Information through the University Contact System
- All Graduate Programs. A listing of all graduate programs at Iowa State University.
- Financing a Graduate Degree
- University Resources - miscellaneous ISU and Ames, IA information
Iowa State University Information
- NSF NRT Ph.D. Fellowships in Predictive Phenomics in Plants. Send resume to P3@iastate.edu if you are interested in participating in this trainee ship program. US citizens or permanent residents.
- Visitor Parking Permit Information