The Genetics and Genomics (IGG) faculty has overall responsibility for the quality and well-being of the major. Faculty members are drawn from across the university according to their interest and qualifications. New membership in the IGG faculty is attained by vote of the existing membership.
Admission of New Genetics and Genomics Faculty
Membership into the IGG faculty is granted through election by the existing IGG faculty.
Membership into the IGG faculty is restricted to those with graduate faculty status at ISU.
In considering a faculty member for membership in IGG, each applicant's activities in the following areas will be examined:
- The applicant must exhibit a dedication to graduate education, show evidence of graduate education activity, and be judged to maintain high standards in graduate education.
- The applicant must be committed to the concept of interdisciplinary training and be willing to participate actively in the affairs of the IGG program.
- The applicant must have an active, high quality, research program involving fundamental questions in IGG.
- The ability to obtain, or the prospects of obtaining, competitively awarded research support in the area of IGG.
- The applicant must have the potential and willingness to provide financial support for graduate student stipends and research expenses.
The quality and appropriateness of the research program will be judged on the basis of the application packet materials submitted electronically.
Required Application Materials
- A complete curriculum vita
- A brief letter requesting faculty membership which includes:
- A statement of research interests that clearly details aspects related to Genetics and Genomics.
- A willingness to serve as an active faculty member - voting, ability/willingness to accept potential rotations/grad students into your lab, willingness to serve on POS committees, and a willingness to engage with and participate in IGG faculty committees.
Please email application materials to the IGG Program Coordinator, Carla Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the current IGG faculty membership.
A Faculty Membership Committee will review the credentials of the applicant. The committee will submit a recommendation to either approve or not approve the application, along with the complete application packet for vote by the current IGG membership. Voting will take place electronically and each individual receiving a majority of the votes cast will be granted IGG faculty membership. Voting must include at least 50% of the current faculty.